a few weeks ago my friend NC shared the recipe below from Bon Appetit for a fruit shrub. At our annual BBQ, my sister-in-law showed up having made it, along with some bourbon to mix it with, mmm!
- ¾cup sugar
- 1½ pounds ripe fruit (such as peaches, strawberries, plums, or pineapple)
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 6 ounces spirit of choice
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- Bring sugar and ½ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slice fruit into medium pieces. Reserve a few pieces for serving and add remaining to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes. Strain syrup into a bowl; stir in vinegar. Cover and chill shrub.
- For each cocktail, shake 2 oz. shrub, 1½ oz. spirit of choice, and ½ oz. lemon juice in an ice-filled cocktail shaker until frosty. Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass; top with some reserved fruit.